Sunday, May 01, 2005

Taker... My Ass

Recently, Trillian, posted an article on her bog entitled Give and Take. In a nutshell it was her generalization that people typically fall into one of two categories: Givers and Takers. I read her post, and made my comment. I basically surmised that I was neither a giver nor a taker because I was too lazy to be either.

I was recently at a friend's (Eddie) house for dinner, with his wife, my wife, Trillian, and her husband Arthur. The discussion turned to Trillian's recent post, and my comment. Apparently, Eddie did not agree with my comment, in fact, he thinks I am the biggest taker he knows. Not only that, but Trillian, her husband, and Eddie's wife all concurred! I gotta say....... I don't see it.

I mean, maybe I do take advantage of a "loophole" here and there, and perhaps I walk a precarious ethical line on occasion, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't consider myself a taker. I mean, sure, I may not be sensitive to the world around me... in fact, I may not be sensitive at all..... but I resent the implication that these things make me a taker.

Now..... don't get me wrong... I'm not a giver either. I don't go out of my way to help the poor and unfortunate. You won't find me spending my free time reading to seniors in the retirement home on weekends. In fact, ironically, I think everyone who knows me would agree that there is one thing that I give without question. I am always willing to teach friends how to "manipulate the loopholes". Both Arthur and Eddie (two self-professing takers) have sat through conversations on DVD burning, newsgroups, satellite rigging, and XBOX modding. I give till it hurts!!!!

OKAY........ maybe I am a taker!

2 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

The saving grace in all of this is, I suppose, the fact that she didn't say that being either a giver or taker was necessarily good or bad.

We all give and take in different ways. It's all part of the yin and yang of life, I suppose.

Good post...you've been missed.

May 2, 2005 at 5:48 PM

 
Blogger Trillian said...

Ahhhh. I was waiting for the rebuttal on my blog. In typical taker fashion, you had to post it on your own blog...

May 10, 2005 at 12:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home