Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Same old... Same old

I was conversing with my driving partner (fellow commuter) today about how alternative music used to be just that..... Alternative. Now that the "alternative" scene is popular, the alternative is no longer alternative. Like the trends before it, the market is being saturated with so many bands with the same sound and same melodies.

On the drive home, we heard a series of "uninterrupted commercial free new rock", and 3 of the 4 songs sounded almost identical. Now, I understand the concept of making music that sells, and if a band has a hit song on a previous album, why not try to duplicate it on your next album, by churning out the same old melodic chords, bridge, melody, and chorus.

Like television, if you have something that sells, duplicate and ram it down the throats of the consumer. Don't we all watch the 3 C.S.I's and the 3 Law and Orders.

If you're interested, check out the link below, it demonstrates musically exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks to Eric for the link.

http://www.thewebshite.net/nickelback.htm

2 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

Pop culture has become a vast wasteland from which we may never escape. Your radio example is appropriate, and largely explains why satellite radio has taken off in popularity. The generic, inoffensive sound of today's radio has doomed that medium to a slow, ugly death.

Those who introduce innovative programming into our cultural milieu have become the exception. I have no confidence that this will change anytime soon.

December 7, 2004 at 12:29 PM

 
Blogger Janet said...

I don't think I could have said it better myself. Unless of course, I have already in the past, which, if that's the case, we're both right.

December 23, 2004 at 7:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home